Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Old UFO

Well, I spent the week looking for a quilting pattern for my Unfinished Amish Quilt.  I was looking for a border pattern that needed to be about 12 inches wide and although I found some nice things, nothing was quite large enough.  So, after looking at the quilt and trying to decide what to do, I decided to wing it...that is, I decided to draft my own pattern.  It will basically be 5 interlocking circles with feathered edges, with a feathered motif in the center.   I drafted it out with chalk right on the quilt and have part of the first circle done.   I haven't done much hand quilting in awhile so it may take me some time to get it done but I am going to try to work on it at least 30 minutes a day.   It is taking me a bit of time to get comfortable with the needle and thimble and my stitches may not be the smallest or most even, but I am sure that they will get better as time goes on.  I never had quilted a feather motif before so thought this was a good place to start.  When I get more done on the first border I'll post a photo so folks can see what I am up to.

I am considering having a UFO adoption day as a part of the Finally Finished Challenge.  This would be an opportunity for people that have a UFO that they know that they will never finish to find another quilter that might be interested in "adopting" it.  For the person giving up the UFO, this would fulfill the goal to finish with that UFO and would count as a completed object for purposes of the challenge.  And for the quilter that is willing to "adopt" a project, it gives them a chance to have a project that is "new" to them.  I will be working out the details of when adoption day would take place and criteria for placing something up for adoption.  If anyone has an opinion on this, please leave a comment.

Guess that is it for now, hope everyone is finding some time to quilt or otherwise create during the summer.  Hope you all have a great 4th of July....happy quilting!....Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment