Monday, February 14, 2011

Week 4- Picking out stitches

Well,  here it is another week already, and I had hoped to tell you how much progress I had made on the quilt I put on the quilting frame...Just wish I could.  Not that I didn't get anything done, but not all has gone smoothly.   It started out so well....I got the top border quilted with a pretty butterfly design, then in the inner border I free handed a small wave....all was going great!  Then it was on to the body of the quilt.  Since this is a sampler quilt, I had decided to just stipple the interior and throw in a flower periodically.  The first 6 inches of quilting went well.  Then, I had to change the bobbin and the trouble started although I didn't know it until I had quilted at least another 8 inches.. It was then that I noticed that I had not put down the presser foot, (which is necessary on my machine), and, when I rolled the quilt, the bottom was a mess, all loose and needing to be picked out!  To avoid taking the quilt off of the machine, I crawled underneath and spent about 2.5 hours picking out the stitches. ( Note the photo of my big ball of thread).  But, I am ready to start again and this time my machine carries the post-it note that says, "IS THE PRESSER FOOT DOWN!  (I find I need these more and more as I get older)  But progress is progress and I am starting again where the good stitches left off.

I am hoping to make some progress on some of my other projects when I go "Quilting in the Woods."  Weather postponed this event and I am packing up once again.  I hope that I can show you a few more of my works in progress when I get back.

My tip for the week, try to find a time almost every day to work on a project.  Set a timer for 15-30 minutes and just work that long.  If you get into the project and have more time, that's great!  But don't think that working for 15 minutes won't make a difference, it will.  15 minutes, 6 times a week is an hour and a half. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.  Until next time...happy quilting!  Vicki

1 comment:

  1. Vicki, I'm right there with you! I have notes posted too -- the notes say the same thing -- DOWN!!!. You'd think as many times as I've not lowered the presser foot I'd remember, but noooooo! I've finished one UFO and almost another -- I'm going to hand quilt it (small projet) so it might be a while before I'm completely finished with it.

    ReplyDelete